Friday, February 11, 2011

CHILI: Is It More American Than Apple Pie?

Well is Chili more American than apple pie? You ask my dad and anyone from Texas and the answer will probably be yes. Although my dad is not from Texas, he loves chili and barbecued foods and such.

The other day, I told my friend California (yes his name really is California) about my blog. I told him about all the foreign food and treats that I have put on my blog so far. He told me that I should do something on "American" food. I thought that would be a great idea. I got home only to debate with myself about what truly is American food. What do we make that is independently from America?

It took me so long to think of something besides desert considering apple pie was the first thing that popped into my head. The night before I had some chili that my dad made that was SOOOOOO spicy it literally was like somebody closed you throat and turned the heater up to 120 degrees. I could barely breathe and I started sweating like a mad man.

But that's beside the point. Today I'm not recommending a restaurant as much as I am asking a question. That question is what is American food? What do we make that's so special and unique to our culture? AND DON'T SAY PIZZA OR CHINESE FOOD BECAUSE THAT'S NOT AMERICAN... lol

2 comments:

  1. Seeing as how chili is short for "chili con carne" I'm almost positive the dish has some Latin origins. I don't think there's any true "American" food. We just take the best of places and call it our own (Hamburgers and hot dogs are both German, too). But everything is delicious, so it's totally cool. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 100 % right EVERYTHING IS DELICIOUS:)... did not know it was short for chili con carne haha. Feel like such a food con artist being white rofl

    ReplyDelete